Folorunso Alakija is one of the most powerful women in the Nigerian Oil and gas industry, and currently the wealthiest woman on the African continent according to Forbes.
The Nigerian billionaire businesswoman was until 2020, one of the only two billionaires in Africa alongside Angola’s Isabella Dos Santos who has since been dropped from the billionaire’s list.
As at 2020 Apostle Folorunso Alakija networth stood at 1bn dollars according to Forbes Magazine. And in 2015, the magazine ranked her as the 87th most powerful woman in the world.
Folorunsho Alakija biography
Apostle Folorunso Alakija was born on July 13, 1951.
She graduated from Pitman Central College, London, where she studied Secretarial Studies in the 1970s.
Alakija started her career as an Executive Secretary in Sijuade Enterprises, Lagos in 1974.
She later left Sijuade Enterprises to work for the National Bank of Chicago which is now known as First City Monument Bank (FCMB). After some years, she went into fashion when she established her tailoring outfit called Supreme Stitches. She later changed the name of her company to Rose of Sharon Fashion in a move to rebrand the business.
Her contribution to the fashion industry earned her the position of National President of the Fashion Designers Association of Nigeria (FADAN) and put her in contact with a lot of influential people in the Nigerian society. She later started Famfa Limited in 1991, an oil trading business which has since became one of the largest crude oil exporting companies in Nigeria.
In 1933, the company apply for and was granted the license to carry out oil exploration activities in the Agbami Field. That oil field was formerly known as OPL 216 now OML 127.
The license which gives the company rights to explore the oil field will be due for renewal in 2024. In 1996, Alakija transferred 40 percent of her shares from her 100 percent to Star Deep Water Petroleum Limited, of subsidiary of Texaco, the French owned oil giants.
She appointed the company to provide expert advisory services to Famfa Limited for handling exploration activities on the Agbami Oil field.
That same year she bagged a Master of Business Administration from CWC School for Energy, London.
Alakija is the founder of Rose of Sharon Foundation, a non-governmental organization which was established to empower widows, orphans, and other underprivileged people.
As at 2021 Folorunsho Alakija currently lives in Lagos, Nigeria with Modupe Alakija her beloved husband of over four decades.
She has four sons who are all married and have given her grandchildren.
Folorunsho Alakija books
Alakija apart from being a mother and the wealthiest woman on her continent, has dedicated her time to sharing her wisdom in a series of books, some of which includes:
1) ALONE WITH GOD: Alone With God is your free daily devotional guide allowing you to grow spiritually and closer to God each day, it’s available for free in both PDF and Hard Copy.
2) Folorunso Alakija Speaks (An inspirational book for All): A compilation of the author’s speeches over the years. It contains a selection of her favorite speeches, carefully prepared and presented by the author who has honed her skills as a speaker.
3) Folorunso Alakija Speaks 1 (An inspirational book for Christians): A compilation of the author’s speeches over the years as an inspirational book for Christians. It contains her favorite ministrations, carefully prepared and presented by the author who has honed her skills as a speaker.
4) Growing with the Hands that gives the Rose: An inspirational impactful book that shows how all God-given aspects of living on earth can be well balanced and succeed in every day. A catalogue of lessons learnt, scriptures and prayers end each chapter of this colourful book. It catalogues the life of one child amongst 52 children and 8 wives of her parents that eventually led to where she is and what she has become today…A MUST READ
5) His Name is…: This book attempts to bring the names of God from different parts of the world, in different languages and dialects to show how important it is for us as Christians to know who we are serving, the benefits of knowing His names and also passing it on to generations to come.
6) Scriptures for Husbands: This book of scriptures is for Christian husbands who not only understand their leadership role and responsibilities in the home as God ordained, but are willing doers.
7) Scriptures for Parents: Praying with scripture is the best way to achieving results and getting exactly what is needed to make the home a habitation of praise and holiness.
8) Scriptures for Wives: This book is written to encourage wives in general but Christian wives in particular, to use the word of God to fortify their prayer.
9) The Cry of Widows and Orphans: A resource material for policy makers and legislators, and an information manual for widows and orphans, enabling them to know their rights and seek help.
10) University of Marriage: A book that will help to bring the spark back into your marriage, or help to perpetuate your already wonderful marriage; whatever the case may be, its experiential practicality, guides and tips are bound to make positive differences in any marriage.
11) Window Shop for your Spouse: This book is a God breathed practical guideline for singles who are wishing to go into the marriage institution.