UBA Foundation, the corporate social responsibility arm of the United Bank for Africa (UBA) Plc, has opened the portal of the 2022 edition of its National Essay Competition (NEC) in Nigeria with a call for entries.
The National Essay Competition, targeted at senior secondary students in Nigeria, is organised annually, as part of UBA Foundation’s education initiative which aims to promote the reading culture and encourage healthy and intellectual competition amongst secondary school students in Nigeria and across Africa.
Now in its 12th edition, this year will witness increased participation of students from Senior Secondary Schools across Nigeria, who can now easily submit their entries from the comfort of their homes or schools through the UBAF NEC digital submission portal.
Prizes and award
For the past three years, UBA Foundation has been reviewing the prizes upwards to reflect economic realities and inflationary effects. The NEC 2022 prizes have increased significantly by 40% from last year.
The first prize winner will receive an educational grant of N5 million to study at any African university of their choice, up from the N3.5 million in 2021. The second and third prizes now stand at N3 million and N2.5 million educational grants rising from N2.5m and N2 respectively.
Also, winners of the 12 best essays will go home with brand new Laptops and other educational tools to help them with their tertiary research work and other studies.
Winner: N5 million educational grant to any African University of their choice.
1st Runner-up: N3 million educational grants to any African University.
2nd runner-up: N2.5 million educational grants to any African University.
2022 UBA Foundation Essay Topic
Selection Criteria and Eligibility
- Must be in Senior Secondary school
- Must submit a handwritten essay (750 words MAX)
- Must submit a passport photograph
- Must submit a scanned copy of a means of identification (birth certificate, National ID, or passport)
How to Apply
- Applicant must submit their valid contact information (Name, Age, School, Address of school, Telephone Number, Residential Address, and Email Address).
- Applicants must upload a scanned copy of their original birth certificates or international passport data page.
- Applicants must upload a handwritten essay on the portal.