The city of Johannesburg in South Africa has some of Africa’s most interesting and iconic scenes. The city is one of Africa’s major financial and tourist center.
here are 12 interesting facts you should know about Johannesburg
It’s been Rebuild four times
– Within the last century, Johannesburg has been transformed from a tented camp, a tiny shanty town, four-story Edwardian brick buildings and now, a city of modern Skyscrapers.
Johannesburg is the Richest city on the Continent
– the total wealth held in Johannesburg amounts to USD 248 Billion, the city also boasts 18,200 dollar millionaires, far more than any other African city.
It boasts the Tallest Buildings in Africa
– The Leonardo Building is the Tallest in Africa followed by Carlton center also in Johannesburg.
It has Africa’s largest hospital
-The Chris Hani – Baragwanath Hospital has the ability to Serve up to 3.5 Million people in Johannesburg, a staff strength of 6,660 people, a total of 3,400 beds and covers an area of 70 hectares. More than 2,000 patients are received daily,
Johannesburg has the Busiest Airport In Africa
– OR Tambo International Airport serves an estimated 28 million passengers every year, more than 50 percent of South Africa’s air traveling passengers are processed through this airport.
University of Johannesburg
It is home to one of the best Universities on the Continent, UJ – University of Johannesburg. This university is ranked fourth-best on the continent and 439 on the QS World University Ranking for 2021.
There’s Johannesburg in California
– There is a small town in America named in Honour of the gold miners who worked in Johannesburg, the town has approximately 172 inhabitants.
It Has the World’s Largest Man-made forest
– Johannesburg has over 10 million trees and is touted as having World’s largest Man-made urban Forest, it helps the city cope with greenhouse effects and also lowers the noise levels within the city.
It has the Richest Square mile in Africa
– Sandton City in Johannesburg is Africa’s Richest square mile.
It’s Earned the title City Of Gold
– the city of Johannesburg was formed by a gold rush in the 19th century – 4 October 1886 to be exact.
It’s also home to almost half of the World’s human fossils.
– The cradle of Human-kind is home to 40% of the planet’s human fossils, making it one of the richest Archaeological Sites in the World.
It earned the title Economic Powerhouse Of Africa
– Johannesburg is the most powerful commercial center on the African Continent.
Blogger that loves African geopolitics.