17 Unbelievable Facts About Muhammadu Buhari
Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari is a complex man and his presidency, even more complex. to understand the man we have constructed his family, military career, and political journey into 28 unbelievable facts every Nigerian should know about their president.
- Let’s start with Muhammadu Buhari’s age, he is 75 years old, he was born on 17 December 1942 in Daura, Katsina State, Nigeria. Buhari was born as the twenty-third child in his family. His father died when he was just four years old.
Muhammadu Buhari’s education:
2. Despite the political shenanigans around his educational status during the 2015 electioneering period, Buhari is actually quite educated. He graduated from primary school in Daura and continued his education in Katsina Provincial Secondary school. In 1962, at the age of 19, Muhammadu Buhari enrolled at Nigerian Military Training College. This was the beginning of his successful military career.
3. In 1963, Buhari graduated officer cadet training at Mons Officer Cadet School in Aldershot in England. At the age of 20 (1963), Buhari was appointed Platoon Commander of the Second Infantry Battalion in Abeokuta, Nigeria. In 1964 Buhari studied Mechanical Transport Officer’s Course at the Army Mechanical Transport School in Borden, United Kingdom. The education helped Muhammadu Buhari to achieve significant successes in his military career.
4. Muhammadu Buhari became the military ruler of Nigeria in 1983 after overthrowing the then civilian presidency of Alhaji Shehu Shagari. He would go on to lead the country for 20 months, until 1985.
5. Muhammadu Buhari is known as an “anti-corruption leader.” During his 20 months rule, about 500 officials, politicians, and businessmen were arrested for corruption. Buhari also launched “war against indiscipline.” In 1984 the Nigerian law system started the fight against lawlessness in the country.
6. Buhari was overthrown in a military coup in 1985 by General Ibrahim Babangida. ironically, his government was accused of corruption the same reason why he had overthrown a civilian government 2 years earlier.
7. After he was overthrown, Buhari was detained for three years in a guarded bungalow in Benin city. he was released in 1988.
Muhammadu Buhari children and wives
8. The name of Buhari’s first wife is Safinatu Buhari, they had five children. Their names are Zulaihat (deceased daughter), Fatima, Musa (deceased son), Hadiza, and Safinatu. Buhari divorced his first wife in 1988.
9. After a year he married his current wife Aisha Buhari. They have five children, four girls, and one boy, their names are Aisha, Halima, Zahra and Amina, and Yusuf.
10. Muhammadu Buhari called himself “converted democrat.” This shows his political development from being a military dictator to a democrat.
11. Buhari ran for president unsuccessfully in 2003, 2007, 2011 before eventually winning in the 2015 general elections.
12. In 2003 Buhari ran as a candidate from All Nigeria People’s Party, in 2007 he ran under All Nigeria People’s Party, in 2011 as a candidate of Congress for Progressive Change, and in 2015 he was the candidate of All Progressives Congress party.
13. President Buhari is a winner of a number of notable awards and medals, among them, are: Congo Medal, Global Seal of Integrity, National Service Medal, Grand Commander of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Loyal Service, and Good Conduct Medal.
2015 to date
14. Since becoming Nigeria’s president in 2015, Buhari has not had a single one on one interview with any Nigerian journalist.
15. In October 2016, Buhari stood next to German Chancellor Angela Merkel and said “I don’t know which party my wife belongs to, but she belongs to my kitchen and my living room and the other room.”
16. in 2018, Buhari denied being a clone at a press conference saying ‘It’s the real me’.