7 Important Car Documents and Items Needed to Drive a Car on Nigerian Roads

If you intend to be a driver on Nigerian roads, from time to time you might be stopped for vehicle inspection either by FRSC officials, or state traffic officers.

Here are the items they will be inspecting when they say: ‘Let me see your particulars’

1. Driver’s license

The first and the most obvious one is your driver’s license. This is the first thing they ask for once they stop any driver on the road. Do you have a driver’s license? Is it expired? Make sure your driver’s license is up to date.

Driver’s licence

2. Valid proof of ownership

You need a valid proof of ownership, it is given among your car registration papers given to you at the Vehicle Inspection Office. Make sure you have this document after purchasing your car. If you bought the car Nigerian used, you need a photocopy of the change of ownership form.

Proof of ownership

3. Insurance certificate

You need your insurance certificate. This is just N5000 and can be done at the licensing office or you can go direct to NICON insurance to get yours done. You might be fined up to N10,000 fine if they catch you without this document.

Insurance certificate

4. Certificate of Road Worthiness

You also need a “Certificate of Road Worthiness” to avoid being hassled by VIO and other traffic officials. It’s the document that says your car is fit to be on the road for a certain period of time. It’s renewable annually so make sure yours isn’t expired. It looks just like this.



5. Vehicle license or registration

You need the Vehicle license or registration. This is to prove that the vehicle is registered under Nigerian law. This needs to be renewed annually so make sure yours hasn’t expired.


Vehicle licence

6. Hachney permit

Last but not least is the hackney permit (this applies to only commercial vehicles), it should be given to you at the point of registering your vehicle.

Other optional but important documents include a learner’s permit and tint permit if you require them.

7. In addition to these documents, you also need to have a fire extinguisher, a good spare tyre, and a car Jack in the boot of your car also. They inspect those too.

Back to top button