The governor of Katsina state, Aminu Bello Masari has insisted that no ransom was paid to secure the release of the pupils abducted from Government Science Secondary School in Kankara.
Hundreds of Boys were kidnapped after gunmen attacked their school on December 11.
334 students were released and handed over to security operatives on Thursday after the gunmen had earlier released a video to prove they have the boys in captivity.
The release of the boys which came just hours after a video of them in captivity, led most people to suggest perhaps, ransom was paid for their release.
however, speaking when he received the freed schoolboys at the government house on Friday, the governor said his administration did not offer a penny to the abductors of the boys for their release.
He said security agencies and members of Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN) were instrumental in the release of the schoolboys.
“Those involved in the negotiation include my adviser, some top military and police operatives, members of Miyetti Allah; (they) were all involved in the negotiation,” Masari said.
The governor said the schoolboys “have suffered physically and psychologically”. He assured them that they would be properly taken care of before they are reunited with their parents.
The kidnapping is blamed on bandits – a local criminal group that has been terrorizing North-Eastern Nigeria. There are rumors that they were paid as much as $4 million dollars as ransom to release the schoolboys.