The Nigerian Federal Government on Monday said despite the apparent security challenges facing the country, the current situation is better compared to what the present regime met at its inception in 2015.
The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, said this while answering questions at a press conference in Abuja after the day’s Federal Executive council meeting.
“I can say without hesitation that, though Nigeria is facing security challenges, the situation is far better than what we met in 2015,” the minister said.
He explained that before the inception of the present regime, bombings by Boko Haram members were being witnessed in about 12 states including Abuja.
He said the situation has changed for the better.
“There is no doubt that we are much better than how it was,” he added.
The administration of former President Goodluck Jonathan was plagued by insecurity arising from the activities of the Islamist terror group, Boko Haram.
In 2014, the group kidnapped over 200 girls from a school in Borno, an event that brought global attention to the terror group.
Since then Boko Haram has changed its tactics, now they hold territories and take on the military instead of the suicide attacks they are used to.
The group seems to have gotten stronger and far from defeat. Last week, Nasarawa State governor, Abdullahi Sule told reporters that the Boko Haram sect has regrouped at the Benue /Nasarawa border spreading their reach to Nigeria’s middle belt zone.
But Boko Haram is not Nigeria’s biggest security challenge. Kidnap for ransom by armed gangs is rampant all across the country. Fulani herdsmen, whose source of livelihood is being affected by climate change are the main culprits here.