PVC registration: How to register during INEC Continuous Voter Registration in Nigeria

PVC registration: How to register during INEC Continuous Voter Registration in Nigeria

Nigeria’s general election is still two years away in 2023 but the country’s election office has began preparation for it already.

From Monday 28 June, 2021, the Independent National Electoral Commission says it will restart Continuous voter registration exercise nationwide (CVR).

This is an opportunity for previously unregistered persons to get their voter’s card so they can participate in any elections.

INEC has laid out guidelines to help people understand how this new registration process will work especially for those that their PVC has damaged, stolen or want to change their biodata.

How does one register for INEC PVC?

The Resident Electoral Commissioner INEC Rivers State, Obo Effanga says INEC has two ways through which citizens can register: online registration and in-person registration.

Online registration: eligible citizens can log on to INEC online registration portal to fill in all their details and print out the slip.

Those who want to change their pollen units or do any corrections to their names or other details can also correct it on the online registration portal.

With the online portal, voters can also apply to replace their lost or damaged permanent voters cards.

In-person registration: After filling out their details and corrections on the online registration portal, voters are to proceed to INEC offices in the local government areas nearest to them or any designated centres provided by INEC with their printout slip for biometric capture and to get their temporary voter cards.

Obo Effanga also warns voters against double registration as the system will detect such registration and cancel it.

Those eligible to register/participate in the CVR?

  • Nigerians who have attained the age of 18 years and have never been registered to vote;
  • Any registered voter who has experienced any difficulty during accreditation in previous elections;
  • Registered voters who wish to change their voting locations;
  • Registered voters whose Permanent Voter’s Cards (PVCs) are lost, defaced or damaged; and
  • Registered voters who wish to correct their information such as their names, dates of birth, etc.


A writer! Columnist and an academic researcher
Back to top button